Tuesday, 14 April 2015

Sewaholic Robson Trench Coat

Its been a little while since my last post, in which I mentioned I was working on quite a big project. So here it is...

I made a coat!!!!
 



This has definitely been my biggest sewing project to date, but is also probably the item I'm most proud of. It actually wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought it might be to begin with. I'd done all of the techniques needed before, it was just the the sheer volume of fabric to cut and seams to sew, bind and topstitch that was a little daunting.
 
I actually finished it a couple of weeks ago nearly, as its already been worn out several times, had some tea spilt on it, and left the country with me on my trip to Ibiza last week!

The pattern is 'Robson' from Sewaholic Patterns, designed with pear-shaped ladies in mind.
The fabric I used is gabardine from Calico Laine, 35% cotton/65% polyester, in a 'light sage' colour. I decided to go for a polyester blend so it will wrinkle less than pure cotton and also hopefully absorb less water. Also, how could I not use gabardine when I learnt it was invented for trench coats in the info provided by Calico Laine...
 
"Gabardine Fabric was created in 1879 and was used during the first world war to create officer's trench coats. Many years later, Gabardine is still the first choice of fabric for all-weather protective clothing items such as workwear, overcoats and windbreakers."
 
The pattern I found nice and straightforward to follow, the pictures was particularly helpful when I wasn't sure. My measurements tie up nicely with Sewaholic sizes so I made a size 10, but graded down to an 8 at the hips as I'm not that much of a pear shape. I did worry it was a bit roomy at first, but I think that's right really for a coat you may want to wear over a few layers.
.
I found binding the seams tricky at times as I only bought 1/2" bias tape that was quite thin when folded over. At the front/side seams I had to finish the seam allowances separately as there was too much bulk.
 
 
There are quite a few dodgy stitching lines on the seam finishes, but on the outside I'm really happy with how neat it is. I finally feel I've got the hand of topstitching, not looking at the needle really works and ensuring your stitch length is suitable.
 
I also made a little label with my initials free-motion stitched on, and a little hook to hang it up!

 
I love how stylish this coat is, its a great edition to my spring wardrobe. What's more, it looks similar to one being advertised by Burberry at the moment, but cost just a fraction of the price!
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

say hello...