Saturday, 20 December 2014

Puffy Pouffes

Knitted pouffes seem to be the must have home accessorie for this year. Every interior magazine going has one featured in it's pages, and they can cost up to £100 ($150). Even the cheapest I found online was £40 ($60). So this is the perfect reason to DIY your own one. All you need is some acrylic wool, and basic knitting skills. All you really need to know is a long tail cast-on, basic garter stitch and how to cast off and be able to knit reasonably evenly. No increases, decreases or even purling.
The wool you use doesnt need to be expensive, in fact I think it's better using cheaper acrylic wool as it is put under quite a lot of stress pulling the lines of stitches together at the end. The pattern I used is from the brilliant Norwegian website Pickles, but it's more of a rough guide as you may need to adjust your cast on or how much wool you use, if you use a different wool weight.
 
I used Ice yarns atlas wool which is 100g and 130m long, and bulky weight. The pattern calls for superbulky/chunky yarn so I held 3 strands together and cast on 42 stitches. I made two pouffes for Christmas presents this year and ordered 12 balls of wool in each colour, but I only ended up using 6 so the cost of the wool was about £20, so only £10 per pouffe.
 
I cast on 42 stitches and then knitted in garter stitch until my rectangle was roughly 40inches long and 20inches wide, leaving a very long tail. Then I put the two short ends next to each other and sewed them together using a darning needle.
Using the long tail I put the needle through every 3rd stitch and pulled to bring the stitches together like a drawstring, then I carried on pulling stitches together until there was no hole in the centre. To stuff my pouffes, I bought a brand new double size duvet for each pouffe. Using a new one worked really well as it was already pre-rolled, so I was able to take off the wrapping and slip the knitted cover on like a sock, keeping the round shape. Then I used a new length of yarn to pull every 3rd stitch together like the other end. I did need to put in quite a bit of effort to keep pulling and bring the stitches together so there was no hole.

I'm really very happy with the final result, they turned out better than I hoped for, given the issues some people seemed to have on ravelry. I can't wait to have room to make a lovely mustard yellow one in my own home. The total cost for each pouffe I mate was just £18 ($27) less than half the amount of the cheapest one I found online.
 
Emily Kate


No comments:

Post a Comment

say hello...