Thursday, 30 October 2014

Hacking Jacket Pattern Review - Great British Sewing Bee Book

As I decided not to buy any clothes this year, except the odd basics, I have been making a dress for the weddings I've attended. For an autumn wedding I decided since I already had quite a few dresses, I'd wear a summery one I made and make a tailored jacket for my outfit. I used the pattern from the Great British Sewing Bee book that I'd been planning to sew for ages and finally felt able to tackle!

Pattern Description: 
Ladies Hacking Jacket

Pattern Sizing:
 To fit UK sizes 8,10,12,14 and 16.
 
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes it does, even down to the fabric choice.
 
Were the instructions easy to follow?
In all honesty... no. The instructions talk about the large dot and the small dot, when in reality there is no difference in the size of them on the pattern. Also when it came to sewing the upper collar to the facing, it didn't mention that this involves going around a corner on one part, and that it is correct that there should be a couple of inches left over at the edge not sewn to anything.
 
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
 I really like the pattern, the only thing I didn't like was the mistakes in the instructions. I would also make it a little bit longer I think if I made another.
 
Fabric Used:
A cotton and tweed blend in a grey/beige rustic colour, and a peach coloured crepe back satin for the sleeve facings.
 
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I didn't make any alterations or design changes, the only thing I would mention is that I made the toile up in a size 10 and found it a bit tight so cut more like a size 12 for the finished garment.
 
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Yes I would, and I would recommend the pattern to others, but only experienced sewers able to understand the dodgy instructions and I'd offer to help!
 
Conclusion:
I love the finished project, and am very proud of it, as my first properly tailored item of clothing. I made a toile first and then was very careful doing each step, which meant I made a lot less mistakes than I can often do. No unpicking was necessary! I think I would make it again in a slightly thinner fabric, perhaps in black, and would add a full lining as the tweed fabric is quite itchy and I wear this one with a cardi underneath.
 
The dress I'm wearing in this picture is made from the Lilou pattern in Love at First Stitch by Tilly and the Buttons... a review will follow at some point!
 
 
 
Emily Kate


1 comment:

  1. Great jacket, looks lovely on you..I'm sewing this now and same issue with small and large dots being the same size grrrr. Attempting to line it too eeek!

    ReplyDelete

say hello...