Sunday, 14 September 2014

One Week One Pattern 2014

After doing Me Made May this year, where you have to wear at least one handmade item/garment each day of the year, I was keen to do another sewing challenge. So when I heard about One Week One Pattern hosted by Handmade Jane this year I decided to give it ago. The idea is to have a few different versions of one pattern, and then wear a differently styled outfit featuring one each day.
I couldnt decide what pattern to use, I had ideas for a couple of different Mimi blouses, from Tilly's Love at First Stitch but hadn't really left enough time to sew a few versions. Then I decided to maybe do another couple of versions of the button-back blouse, even a dress version, but again it was a bit late.
So I decided to use the tunic pattern from the first Great British Sewing Bee book. After my original version, I've already made 3 other versions, 2 tops and my colour block dress hack. I've been hankering after a lace top or dress for a while so thought this was perhaps the perfect opportunity to make a version of the tunic in lace.
I've finally got a phone that's instagram- enabled so I've been taking a photo of my outfit each day to share....so here they all are.
 
Saturday
 
This is one of my favourite dresses nowadays, and Mr Makes too, he calls it my sunshine dress!
 
Sunday
 
I used the scallop hem tutorial on the Collette website for this top, I think the poplin fabric was a touch too stiff though, they can stick out a bit. 
 
Monday
 
This is the first tunic I made, in a beautiful liberty flower print, goes well with my green jeans. 
 
Tuesday
 
 
This one is a shorter version, in a heart print viscose that I accidentally made with the hearts upside down.
 
Wednesday
 
Here it's teamed with my nautical Delphine skirt.
 
Thursday
 
 
The last version is my new lace one. It's just some low-cost eyelash lace fabric from china, and I used a purple/grey viscose for the lining. Instead of facing, I made up a top in each fabric and sewed them together at the neckline and armholes. It took me several tries though and lots of unpicking before I realised how to do it! I used a zigzag stich for the lace then cut away the excess, leaving a not particularly visible seam. I made the lace top layer a little longer than the lining to show off the eyelash scallops at the bottom.  
 
Friday
 

Emily Kate.


No comments:

Post a Comment

say hello...