This year I had planned to scour London for elderflowers to make cordial, but by the time I had got around to it, the only ones I could see were alongside the railway line that I couldn't get to. There was also a huge tree covered in elderflower in Battersea park, right down the road from me, but surrounded by a high fence!
I still intend to make some but I'm waiting on a delivery of dried elderflower from my mum back in the shire.. In the meantime I'm afraid I cheated a little and bought a bottle of bottlegreen cordial to try out this recipe. Its the perfect cake for a summer picnic.
100g/3.5oz caster sugar
175g/6oz plain flour
1tbsp baking powder
Zest of half a lemon
1tbsp elderflower cordial
2tbsp elderflower cordial
2tbsp lemon juice
3tbsp icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4. Grease a loaf tin.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into the mixture and fold in.
- Stir in the lemon zest and cordial.
- Add a dash of milk if the mixture is too thick.
- Bake for 40-50mins, until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Mix the lemon juice and cordial for the drizzle together and pour half of the liquid over the cake, still in the tin, and allow it to sink in.
- When the cake is completely cooled, tip out onto a plate. Mix the icing sugar with the rest of the lemon/elderflower liquid, just a tiny bit at a time until the mixture is able to run off a spoon still but is not too runny.
- Use a spoon to drizzle the icing back and forth across the loaf cake.
Nom Nom Nom...