These mince pies are dead easy, you don't need any baking experience whatsoever, it's just a little fiddly. It uses puff pastry, so there's no need to make any (unless you have a LOT of time and just really like making pastry I guess) Jus-rol or any other store bought works just fine.
So here's everything you need:
block of puff pastry
vanilla essence (optional)
small star shaped cutter
The optional ingredients are just to jazz up the mincemeat a little to make it a little more exciting and if like myself you tend you buy the cheaper variety.
- Add any extra ingredients to the mincemeat, and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper. Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Roll out a bit of the puff pastry to a thickness of only 1mm, if it's too thick the pastry will puff up too much and come out of the star shape.
- Cut out squares of around 10cm by 10cm, and slice the pastry from each corner about halfway towards the centre. Place the squares on the baking tray and add a heaped teaspoon of mincemeat to the centre of each square.
- Pull the left section of each corner into the middle of the square and overlap on top of the mincemeat.
- Using the star cutter, cut out a star for each mice pie and put it in the centre on top of the mincemeat, use a little maple syrup to keep it in place.
- Bake in the oven for around 10-15mins or until the pastry has puffed up and turned slightly golden.
- Brush the pies with maple syrup, and when they have cooled a little dust liberally with icing sugar.