100g butter or margarine
175g soft brown sugar
150g self raising flour
60g natural yoghurt
2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
Pinch of nutmeg
For the icing:
50g soft brown sugar
200g icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/ gas 4.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat the eggs into the mixture, one at a time.
- Sift in the flour with the spices, and stir through the yoghurt.
- Place 12 paper cupcake cases into a muffin tin and divide the mixture between them.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden and springy to the touch. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
- For the icing: while the cupcakes are cooking place 50 grams of the butter in a pan with the brown sugar and cook over a low heat until melted. Leave to one side to cool to room temperature.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the butter until smooth, then start to sift in the icing sugar, stirring regularly. Add the toffee sauce and stir until thoroughly incorporated.
- Put the icing in a piping bag and pipe onto the cupcakes. Dust some cocoa powder over the cupcakes.
This makes lovely soft and light cupcakes with a gingerbread flavour! So enjoy.