So here is the recipe, it makes around 16 cakes.
225g plain flour
110g butter/margarine, plus extra for greasing
75g caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling on top.
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp mixed spice
pinch of salt
splash of milk, if needed
1 tsp of grated orange zest
- First sift all the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl (flour, baking powder, salt and mixed spice). Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar, add the dried fruit and orange zest to the mixture.
- Pour in the egg and mix to form a dough, using a little milk if needed. Roll the dough out to a thickness of around a biscuit and use a pastry cutter to cut out round cakes.
- Cook the cakes on a greased preheated frying pan on a medium/high heat. If the heat is too hot the outside of the cakes will burn while the inside stays uncooked.
- Once they are all cooked, sprinkle with caster sugar.
I eat mine just as they are, but you can spread them with some butter or jam. I really love the addition of the orange zest to the standard recipe, I think it adds just a little more flavour.
In other exciting news, my parents have recently got a puppy.
This is Ellie the labradoodle, and I just had to share her with you all as she's so small and cute!