Now I've never been much of a fan of the recent craze in catering of adding an unusual ingredient to things, which somehow works. Hell, I don't even like sweet and sour curry or ham and pineapple. However I was recently brave enough to try the 'ol balsamic vinegar and strawberries tip, and I have to say it really works, really bringing out the flavour of the strawberries. Apologies for the photos... it really is impossible to make Eton mess look anything other than a mess.
300ml double cream
6-8 meringues (go for it if you want to make your own, but mostly I think lifes too short.)
300g punnet of strawberries
1tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tip icing sugar
- Add 5-6 medium strawberries, hulled, to a blender and blend until mostly smooth.
- Add the icing sugar and vinegar and blitz again, add more vinegar to taste if preffered.
- Whisk the cream until stiff peaks form, and break in the meringues.
- Hull the remaining strawberries and cut in half, add to the cream mix.
- Serve in bowls or large glasses and drizzle the balsamic/strawberry sauce on top.
This should serve 4 people. It should. Doesn't mean to say it has to though.